James Vanié is a design strategist and writer who facilitates workshops and builds inclusive products with incredible teams.
He also runs kumii.ai and teaches User Experience Design at New York University.
Designing: James helps consulting firms, product companies, and entrepreneurs deliver large-scale projects including service design, product strategy, and transformation design.
Specialties include: systems design, UX strategy, user research, and design ethics.
Selected client list: Emerson Collective, United States Green Building Council , XQ, Arcom, Poker Central, Bell Tenant Champions, Century, Velcade, Ninlaro, Shelf.io
Writing: His writing is geared towards understanding the complexities of tech and organizational ethics. He's currently writing about the parallels between AI and slavery. Finished pieces are on his Medium page.
Teaching: James currently is an Adjunct Professor at New York University. Previously, he was the lead design instructor at StartUp Institute – where he taught, mentored, and created new curriculum for the web design program. Check out his teaching philosophy or workshop on interpersonal conflict.
A Kentucky native, James enlisted in the Army and quickly rose through the ranks to sergeant. After deploying twice, and making many successful jumps with the 82nd Airborne Division, he left the military to study Business Management and French at St. John’s University. During his undergrad career, he helped revive a small creative studio and began building products and selling design. James lives in New York City and holds a Master's Degree from the School of Visual Arts in Interaction Design.
- Featured on Try to Be Good Podcast: Designers from the Sandbox
- Speaker, 2017 UXPA International Conference: The Importance of Informed Design
- Student Choice Award, StartUp Institute, Winter 2017
- Speaker, UX Camp NYC 2017: Designing UX for Voice
- Speaker, NABJ Region I Conference: Narrative of Storytelling in the Digital Age
- Mentor, NYC OpenRecords UX Hackathon
- Speaker, UX Camp DC 2017: Designing Conversation fore UX Teams (write up here)
- Workshop facilitator, IxD 101 with Fordham University Interactive Media Program
- Guest critic, St. John's University's Graphic Design BFA program
- Guest critic, General Assembly's User Experience design program
- TEDx St. John's E-Board Mentor
- Speaker, Empathic Design and Innovation MeetUp: Design Ethics
- Speaker, Rise to Lead Conference at St. John's University, New York
- Facilitator: Design sprint with SVA IxD and SVA POD students
- Speaker, Surviving to Thriving Conference at St. John's University: Design Thinking + You
- Facilitator, Ashoka and Catapult Ideas design workshop